How does personal liability insurance protect me when living in Germany?
Accidents happen! There is an easy way you can protect yourself against potentially ruinous damage claims. It's called personal liability insurance or Haftpflichtversicherung / Privathaftpflichtversicherung in Germany. Germans don't sue in case of a damage claim: they ask about your personal liability insurance.
Some recommendations on this page are based on tests from the independent organization Stiftung Warentest.
If you damage somebody's health or property you can be liable for an unlimited amount even if it was an accident. Liability insurance pays if you harmed a person's health, damaged an object or caused financial losses. Up to 83% of German households have a personal liability insurance source.
Examples where you want a liability insurance
- The neighbor in the apartment above a friend's place drilled a hole in the wall and hit a water pipe. The water leaked into the apartments below. The liability insurance paid for the renovation.
- Somebody spills a cup of coffee over a friend's laptop. In this case, the private liability insurance pays to repair the laptop.
- You run into a pedestrian with your bicycle and the person gets a broken leg. The private liability insurance pays any claims from the pedestrian's health insurance.
What is not covered
The following are not covered by personal liability insurance:
- Any damage which happens to your things is not covered by your own liability insurance.
- Damages caused by car accidents are covered by the car owner's mandatory vehicle liability insurance.
- Damage caused by your dog is not included in your personal liability insurance.
- Kids or other family members are not covered by your liability insurance unless the insurance plan explicitly says so. Ask for a family plan or Familienversicherung.
What to consider when choosing a personal liability insurance
- The insurance should cover claims up to 10 million Euro.
- The insurance should cover the entire sum without deductibles.
Best liability insurance plans for singles with German language support
|WGV||Optimal||Starting at 42,30 Euro per year source|
|S.L.P||Prima E-Dok||Starting at 48,01 Euro per yearsource|
|VHV||Klassik-Garant||Starting at 55,08 Euro per yearsource|
Best liability insurance plans for families with German language support
|Signal Iduna||Premium||Calculate your personal fee|
|HDI||*Premium||*Calculate your personal fee|
|AXA||L||Calculate your personal fee|
Compare prices for more *family liability insurance plans.
Best dog liability insurance plans
A dog is not covered by your personal liability insurance. A dog liability insurance is mandatory in many German cities and states like Berlin, Hamburg, Thüringen or Sachsen-Anhalt source.
Good dog liability insurance covers damage in your rental flat as well as any claims in case your dog makes another dog pregnant. Also, check whether your dog is protected during travel. Some dog liability insurances don't require that you use a leash.
|*Feather Dog liability (English)||Starting at 5.58 Euro / month|
|*Luko dog liability (English)||Calculate your personal fee|
Compare prices for more *dog liability insurance plans.
Liability insurances for families and singles with English language support
(single or family options)
|Starting at 43,20 Euro per year
*Calculate your personal fee
|Luko||*Private liability||*Calculate your personal fee|
|Feather||*Personal liability||59,88 Euro per year|
Summary: which liability insurance is recommended?
Protect yourself for a small monthly fee against potential damage claims which could bankrupt you. Make sure to sign family members up as well. Dogs have to be insured separately.
Please also consider Feather as an insurance broker. They offer a much recommended *English language liability insurance plan for 4.99 Euro per month and have good customer support.
Prices are not guaranteed. Please check the insurer's website for the price.