Electricity in your apartment works automatically from day one but you want to change the electricity supplier
You are automatically signed up with an electricity contract for your flat with the so-called Grundversorger which is usually the biggest electricity company in your neighborhood. It is often also the most expensive tariff. You are contacted by the Grundversorger to confirm the contract a week or so after moving into the flat.
You should act if you want cheaper or cleaner electricity. Changing suppliers is very easy and your new electricity company handles the switch without interruption after you signed up and notifies your old supplier to terminate the old contract.
Your monthly deductions in the first year will be based on estimates. The new electricity supplier will ask you about the flat size and estimate the energy consumption. You automatically get money back at the end of the year if you pay too much and your monthly rate will be adjusted.
How can I compare tariffs for electricity companies near me?
You can easily compare prices from electricity providers in Germany by entering your address on one of these websites:
We recommend Naturstrom as a clean electricity provider
You should be aware that while many companies offer so-called green or environmentally friendly energy, big companies like Vattenfall or RWE are or were involved with nuclear and coal-based electricity. RWE sued against the shutdown of two German nuclear power plants in 2011 after Germany decided on a nuclear phase-out source.
The following energy providers were never involved in nuclear or coal energy and offer 100% clean electricity:
- *Naturstrom. This provider is active since 1998 and uses only renewable energy half of which is from water and wind energy in Germany source.
- *Polarstern. Founded in 2011 this company only sells electricity from small hydroelectric power plants.
- Green Planet Energy which was formerly on this list has closed sign-ups for new customers in 2022.
Other green electricity providers:
- *Lichtblick advertises to offer cheap green energy and to be the biggest eco electricity provider in Germany. There has been some criticism in the past as Lichtblick bought a small portion of electricity from conventional sources source.
- *Yello is using 100% hydroelectric power plants for its Klima Tarife source.